The logotype for our Parish of the Holy Name (of Jesus) – at the top of this page – is based on the Chi-Rho, the oldest known monogram (or letter symbol) for Christ.
The Chi-Rho is known also as the “Christogram” and dates back to the Roman Emperor Constantine (A.D. 306-337). It is said that Constantine saw this symbol in the sky before a battle and heard the message “By this sign, conquer.” He then adopted the symbol for his army. Chi (x = ch) and Rho (p = r) are the first three letters of “Christ” or “Christos” in the Greek language. Though there are many variations of the Chi-Rho, it most commonly consists of the overlaying of the two letters. The Chi-Rho design for Holy Name also features the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet – Alpha and Omega.
The logotype for Holy Name was designed by Christopher Tunnard of Elliot Tunnard Design in Salisbury and is for use across all manner of media, both internal and external. Christopher was born in Wallsend and attended the then Heaton Grammar School before training in graphic design in London. Since then has designed and illustrated for many major design groups and international companies. In 1998 Christopher designed the logotype for St Mary’s Cathedral in Newcastle (inspired by an original 1844 AWN Pugin wall tile) and in 2008 he designed for the parishes of St Mary and St Joseph, Newton Aycliffe and St Thomas, Shildon. Christopher currently works closely with Salisbury Cathedral and has recently completed a small amount of work for the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Lambeth Trust.